Balch Art Research Library
In keeping with LACMA’s commitment to research and education, the Mr. and Mrs. Allan C. Balch Art Research Library maintains an extensive, non-circulating collection of research-level materials that support the museum’s collections and programming.
The library’s holdings include:
200,000+ monographs, exhibition catalogues, journals, and reference resources.
- Current auction catalogues.
- Special Collections—artists’ books, rare publications and fine editions, portfolios, oral histories, catalogues raisonnés, and other special materials.
- Artist and institution ephemera files—a collection of postcards, exhibition announcements, clippings, press releases, small catalogues, price lists, and other uncatalogued printed material predominantly related to California artists and exhibitions from the late 1960s to the present.
- Online resources—a collection of subscription-based electronic resources are available on-site including JSTOR, Art Source, ARTstor, and ArtNet.
- Access to the library is free and available to the public by appointment. Requests for materials must be made at least 24 hours in advance.
For additional inquiries, please call 323 857-6118 or email firstname.lastname@example.org秒速快3. For a list of library staff contacts, please consult the museum staff directory.
Answers to library-related FAQs can be found within the museum’s FAQ hub.
Generous support for the Balch Art Research Library is provided by the Caryll M. and Norman F. Sprague Jr. Foundation Library Endowment.
- Bing Theater
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, 11am to 4pm
Public appointments will be limited and made on a case by case basis while we prepare for the library's move in early 2020.